277 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarianV
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Very new to AirTable and I'm working in a file created by someone else. Right now, I need to know how to move a row. (The data is in Alphabetical order, and one entry name has changed. I need to re-order it. I just want to drag the row to a different place but it doesn't work)

Also, I have grouped the data but can't seem to UNgroup it! The chat bot said to unselect the grouping criteria, but there is no way to do that. 

Help!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Mike_AutomaticN
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @MarianV! It seems you are dealing with two different issues:
Sorting and Grouping.

Regarding Sorting: You can only drag rows (records) to re-order them if and only if the table/view you are on is not being "sorted" with specific conditions. If an alphabetical sorting is applied to the base, the only option you have to show the record in a different position is tho change the name of the record/field which is being used for sorting. You can play around with sorting criteria by clicking in "sort", shown on the screenshot below.

If you decide to delete any sorting criteria, only then you can drag records to have them in whatever manual order you decide to.

Mike_AutomaticN_0-1724152378155.png

Regarding Grouping: In order to UNgroup your view/table, please click on this "group" button shown on the image below, and delete any criteria.

Mike_AutomaticN_1-1724152576074.png

Also: I do not want to make things more complex for you, but do remember that you can create multiple views per table. If you'd like to keep your current setup (sorting and grouping) on one place, and have it differently (manually ordered and ungrouped) on a different place, you can create a new view and set specific criteria/configurations for it.

Mike_AutomaticN_2-1724152725388.png

I hope this helps!! Otherwise just let me know.

Mike, Consultant @ Automatic Nation.

See Solution in Thread

Mike_AutomaticN
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey!! I'm happy that solved your issue.

Regarding the ability to see who is in the file at a given time: I don't think that is currently possible on Airtable!

Regarding the version history: You can always check the revision history at a record-level. Please find Airtable's guide here. You can also follow these easy steps:

Mike_AutomaticN_0-1724153486923.png

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Mike_AutomaticN
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @MarianV! It seems you are dealing with two different issues:
Sorting and Grouping.

Regarding Sorting: You can only drag rows (records) to re-order them if and only if the table/view you are on is not being "sorted" with specific conditions. If an alphabetical sorting is applied to the base, the only option you have to show the record in a different position is tho change the name of the record/field which is being used for sorting. You can play around with sorting criteria by clicking in "sort", shown on the screenshot below.

If you decide to delete any sorting criteria, only then you can drag records to have them in whatever manual order you decide to.

Mike_AutomaticN_0-1724152378155.png

Regarding Grouping: In order to UNgroup your view/table, please click on this "group" button shown on the image below, and delete any criteria.

Mike_AutomaticN_1-1724152576074.png

Also: I do not want to make things more complex for you, but do remember that you can create multiple views per table. If you'd like to keep your current setup (sorting and grouping) on one place, and have it differently (manually ordered and ungrouped) on a different place, you can create a new view and set specific criteria/configurations for it.

Mike_AutomaticN_2-1724152725388.png

I hope this helps!! Otherwise just let me know.

Mike, Consultant @ Automatic Nation.

MarianV
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you so much! One additional question:

I know I can add other team members to the file, but is there a way to view the version history or easily see changes that other people make? I don't seem to be able to see who is in the file at a given moment (the way I can with Google Sheets). 

Mike_AutomaticN
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey!! I'm happy that solved your issue.

Regarding the ability to see who is in the file at a given time: I don't think that is currently possible on Airtable!

Regarding the version history: You can always check the revision history at a record-level. Please find Airtable's guide here. You can also follow these easy steps:

Mike_AutomaticN_0-1724153486923.png