1344 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heath_Stricklan
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

How do you insert a zip code in a record when the zip code begins with “0”? In excel, I would place an “’” ahead of the 0 and it would remain. Thanks for the help.

7 Replies 7
Matt_Bush
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

To preserve any leading zeros in values, you can use a Single line text field, rather than a Number field.

Gordon_Maclean
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I know this is a long time since posting, but zip codes should be treated as a text rather than a number. Rule of thumb, if it does not make sense to do math on a number, make it a text. You wouldnt multiply zipcodes.

Ed_Brown1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

And six months after the last one… It would be very nice to be able to do a “between” filter for zip codes… ! ie. between 01925 and 02999

Not to mention wanting to retain Zip Plus 4 rather than subtracting Plus 4 from Zip…

Raffaella_Pace
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everybody, I did as suggested, but when I exported it as a csv file all the zip codes starting with 0
have been automatically shortened, and the 0 has been deleted (Example code 00100 become 100).
Any suggestion?

Jemima_Garthwai
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all. I have this same issue. It’s not zip codes, but an important number that must be exported to Excel as ‘0001’.

• I have already formatted the field as Text in Airtable.
  • I export the table to CSV, which if read in a text reader shows “0001”
  • But once it opens in Excel or Numbers or G Sheets, the leading zeros disappear, and that when the file opens, that field shows ‘1’.
  • This is not a matter of formatting in the Excel/Numbers file - the zeros have just disappeared.

Any suggestions?

In Google Sheets, one way to fix this problem before importing the CSV file is to turn off the option to “convert text to numbers” that shows up when you import a CSV file. See screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 11.19.42 AM