cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_K
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey all,

I’d love your feedback on a tool we’re working on, called Scripts.

What is it? An extension that embeds an onsite code editor into your bases.

Why would I need that? If you’ve ever used Google Scripts or VBA for automating spreadsheets, this is the same for Airtable.

It makes it easy to build custom alerts, automations, workflows, reports, and integrations for your bases, using short Python scripts. The extension handles API calls behind the scenes (even as the Airtable API is quite limiting), OAuth with other apps you’re integrating with, hosting, and more.

Who is it for? It’s designed for power users with a bit of Python experience, automation geeks, or API developers.

What’s the ask? Take the extension for a spin, reply back with your feedback, and don’t share too broadly just yet… we haven’t yet launched!

Paul

PS - here are some cool use-cases

Build an Google Sheets Export/Import integration in 60 seconds

Setup mail merge in Airtable

33 Replies 33
Tuur
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Pretty cool stuff! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hello Paul. This looks great. I just installed it as a chrome extension and then made a request for Airtable scripting access. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Hey @David_Skinner, yup - you got it.

Then to open the editor, go to any base and click click the green leaf in the bottom left (may need to restart if you just installed).

Once in, import a template to see how it works, or check out some of the vids. Message me if you have any q’s!

Nice one. It says my account can’t add triggers. Is this a feature that isn’t ready yet? Or one I would have to pay for? What triggers are/will be available?

Good catch.

At least according to the Airtable API docs, it doesn’t seem like Airtable officially supports webhooks. I’m guessing they have a special “on new record” webhook for Zapier, but aren’t ready to enable that for anyone else.

As soon as they launch webhooks - hopefully both ‘on new record’ and ‘on changed record’ - we can enable triggers in the scripting editor. Maybe comment on this feature request in the meantime?

OK cool. I’ll have a play around with it and let you know how I get on.

Sounds great :thumbs_up: @David_Skinner

Alessandra_Carl
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

HI @Paul_K,
I added extension to chrome, I created the api key, but I do not see the green leaf in the bottom left.
What is wrong? Can you help me?
Many thanks
Alessandra

Hey @Alessandra_Carlevaro - you may need to refresh the base page that you’re on for the button to pop up the first time.

Alessandra_Carl
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you @Paul_K!
I have closed the browser and then re-opened, but I not have reloaded the page … I am sorry for the previous request!
Now I can try the automations!
Many thanks!

This is quite exciting - but for those looking for a more approachable solution there are ‘push’ Zaps in Zapier.

Also a Chrome extension, this feature adds a small button to the Chrome tool bar from which specific Zaps can be directly triggered. This is what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 21.39.14.png

The example push zap will update the specific employee’s record being displayed in the Expanded view.

I’ll write a blog post about this in the next few days…

Just a heads-up: this service is neither officially endorsed nor vetted by Airtable. Airtable cannot vouch for the security credentials of this third-party service, and if you choose to make use of this service, you do so at your own risk. Please be careful when potentially exposing your Airtable data to third-party services, especially if you are using Airtable to store sensitive information.

Guido_Walter_Pe
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

The lack of an official scripting system is what prevents our company to use Airtable instead of Google Sheets :frowning:

Good luck with this extension! If it has success hopefully Airtable will develop a similar feature.

Oliver_Robson
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey @Paul_K, I’ve added the chrome extension, refreshed the browser, clicked the green leaf and hit allow scripts for base but nothing happens after that (no pop-up window etc). I’ve disabled uBlock and Ghostery and still nothing. I wonder if you are able to help?

Thanks,
Oli

Paul_K
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hey @Oliver_Robson happy to help. Do you have any other extensions that might be interfering?

I’m not sure - I thought it might be uBlock Origin or Ghostery as they both generally stop pop-up windows but I’ve disabled them both with no success. Also tried it on a work machine with less/little extensions (only uBlock active) with no success.

Had just removed both extensions (Ghostery, uBlock Origin) and still no success, I’ve inlcuded a screengrab of the other extentions below:

https://postimg.cc/image/cy2lyi7vr/

Whatfont? The great suspender, metamask, ethereum network, grammerly, honey, tradingview, google calendar, bitmex and blockspring

Hey Paul - I’ve just noticed that a couple of other users are having issues with it working in Airtable also after looking at the app reviews, hopefully this may be of some help to you. I’ve removed all extensions and still no success.

“Not working with Airtable. After clicking icon in bottom left and clicking ok on popup nothing happens. Checking the console shows a uncaught typeerror. Community site down. Slack channel is pretty dead. Please help. Would love to get give the Airtable Mail Merge a try. Thanks.”

Totally missed this message. I took a look again today and all seems to work well. But it might’ve been recent pushes between a few weeks ago and now. Can you try again?