Multiple Page Document in Page Designer

+1000 for this. There are not that many documents/reports that fit on one page.

4 Likes

I’m a big fan of Airtable. The big convenience is to have EVERYTHING in one place. If we have te go back 'n forward with other apps and programs. It’s basicly the same as spreadsheets… I’m actually baffled this simple multiple page option isn’t a thing yet.

5 Likes

Hey AIRTABLE!!! How about a little community feedback to confirm this is on the radar and (hopefully) where it is in the pipeline?!?

7 Likes

@David_Meyers, I think it’s a safe bet this is not on the plan for the very near future. Airtable has been focused on big improvements: Scripting Block, Custom Blocks, and Automations.

I think the real question is how long until someone builds an open-source custom block to outperform the current Page Designer.

2 Likes

$100/month to replicate notepad is not very impressive to me at all.

The greatest thing that could happen is that the SaaS craze dies out and people start to create actual value again.

You can design business cards!! Ya know, like you never would ever do in Airtable

It’s the single biggest shortcoming to the entire platform. Keeping huge amounts of data all linked together is amazing, but Airtable is virtually impossible to export outside of the native environment.

Replicating thousands of records that should just be printable is sort of a MVP thing in my mind, like what’s the point of using the program if I can’t generate output, we already had excel and I didn’t have to pay/month for that.

3 Likes

@Lynnsey_Schneider,

If you are looking for a one page per row solution, then the page designer is probably perfect for you. You would design the page for an individual recipie. Then you can print all of the records in a specific view. One record per page.

The major failing of the page designer block is desiring multi-page PDFs for a single record.

In fact, my biggest issue is that the page designer block lacks the ability to change the page length based on the length of the record’s content. I have some short records and some very long ones.

1 Like

Thanks @Paul_Warren. My main requirement is actually to be able to create single page documents, combining multiple rows of data. An example would be a project plan, a weekly meal planner, or a travel itinerary.

My hack at the moment is to export the table as a CSV, and dumping it into something like Miro or Sketch to do the visual design. Every time the data changes I have to do that again which is a giant nuisance.

Any suggestions for a better solution / workflow would be great.

1 Like

Here are a couple of videos on the page designer block that I think will help you. I believe this could work for you, but it would depend on how nice it needs to look. Currently there is very limited control of the display of linked records:

Thanks Scott. I’ll look into Docupilot. I’d be converting from my weak local currency to USD so Formstack isn’t an option.

1 Like

@Lynnsey_Schneider You’re welcome! :slight_smile: DocuPilot also works with Integromat or Zapier for communication with Airtable, and Integromat would be my preference because it is cheaper and more powerful than Zapier.

+1 for this feature ASAP, please!

3 Likes

For a more advanced layout, you could always try to get something custom developed by talking to the API, or use the ‘Scripting’ block.

The Scripting block has a print button, but you can ‘print to pdf’ if a pdf is what you want. This works fine for reports, overviews,… you need to generate ad hoc.

I also needed to have reports sent by email every weekday/week. Did this by having an external script talk to the API, which is fairly well documented. If you have a bit of software dev knowledge, or now someone who does, then this is something you can do in days rather than weeks.

I have to admit I was rather underwhelmed by the Page Designer too.

I think Multiple Page is a must have for Page Designer and Airtable.

6 Likes

+1 for this - I came looking for what I was sure would be something very obvious that I’d missed…but it seems not!

I’ve got around it previously by creating an A3 sized report but currently WFH with access to A4 printer only.

3 Likes

+1 - This feature just make sense and it would be very helpful! I also think it should be possible to export separate PDFs at once. For example, if you wish to create certificates for participants. Right now you could only create one super big pdf

1 Like

+1 - Need it. How could someone possibly make an invoice or organized list of items that is longer than what can fit on a single page? Should be a no-brainer.

2 Likes

+1. I’m quite surprised that this issue with Page Designer still hasn’t been addressed more than 2.5 years after this post. It seems like a real limitation with the App and something relatively easy for Airtable to fix.

3 Likes

@Jason, I tagged you as you appear to post in the announcement area. Is there anyone at Airtable that can address this thread? Page Designer is currently one of Airtable’s greatest strengths and weaknesses. Thank you!

6 Likes