Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_Mullin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello,

I am designing a base that needs URLs with markdown in this format:

[text to display](https://my.url.com)

However, when I try that... that's exactly what it looks like. I'm using long text fields with rich text enabled. I've tried a bunch of variants, including many I've seen in this forum, and it never shows display text -- always just the text exactly as entered. Whether or not the URL is interpreted as a URL is also an issue. It works sometimes, but no others. I'm using google Chrome for what it's worth. Is there an issue with my syntax?

Regards,

Scott

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Mullin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Arthur,

I was able to get it to work by following this old forum post:

I can create a Single Line Text field {Site name}, a url field {url}, and a calculation that concatenated stuff so I get an output like "[{Site name}]({url})". Then I wrote an automation that would copy the formula result to a rich text enabled Long Text field called {link}. The end result is a normal URL with display text.

I knew it was possible to have links like that in the long text because you can copy/paste them in from other sources. It looks like if you directly put that markup language in the Long Text field it adds some hidden characters that prevent the markup?

We're replacing an existing workflow in Google sheets, and we (incorrectly) assumed Airtable would make it easy to do this.
Scott_Mullin_0-1699065209962.png

Scott_Mullin_1-1699065247343.png

Regards,
Scott

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Scott_Mullin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I checked and I'm not getting any of the markdown attempts to work. Here's a screenshot:

Scott_Mullin_0-1699034923959.png

Scott_Mullin_1-1699034959440.png

Arthur_Tutt
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Hey @Scott_Mullin Unfortunately Airtable doesn't support markdown for hyperlinks in long rich text fields. Here's the official documentation: https://support.airtable.com/v1/docs/using-markdown-in-airtable

Screenshot 2023-11-03 220037.png

A couple thoughts - why does it need to be in that format? What is the use case / necessity?  By understanding your specifics I might be better able to offer a solution. 

As a workaround, the long rich text fields allow you to add hyperlinks to achieve the (visual) desired end result:

Screenshot 2023-11-03 215804.png

Screenshot 2023-11-03 215847.png

Let me know if this will work for you or more about what you're trying to achieve! 

Scott_Mullin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi Arthur,

I was able to get it to work by following this old forum post:

I can create a Single Line Text field {Site name}, a url field {url}, and a calculation that concatenated stuff so I get an output like "[{Site name}]({url})". Then I wrote an automation that would copy the formula result to a rich text enabled Long Text field called {link}. The end result is a normal URL with display text.

I knew it was possible to have links like that in the long text because you can copy/paste them in from other sources. It looks like if you directly put that markup language in the Long Text field it adds some hidden characters that prevent the markup?

We're replacing an existing workflow in Google sheets, and we (incorrectly) assumed Airtable would make it easy to do this.
Scott_Mullin_0-1699065209962.png

Scott_Mullin_1-1699065247343.png

Regards,
Scott

Scott_Mullin
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

For whatever reason my snipping tool blanched all the pictures out. Sorry to anybody who tries to look at those!