Help

Re: How can I display in table the matches for each tag, where there are multiple tags in a multi-select field?

1306 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lee_Crawford
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a simple pair of tables to collect and process usability testing notes. In my main table, I have each note as a record, and there is a lookup field for tags that apply. The tags are in a linked second table. I.e., each note may have multiple tags, and each tag may have multiple notes.

I want to view each tag with a list of the corresponding notes below. I can see that here in the expanded record view. Like this:
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 11.56.23 AM

But I can’t figure out how to do this in a grid view to get an overview, e.g., with groups. I get all the tags aggregated or the notes aggregated. Like this in the second group:
Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 12.02.51 PM

I suspect this is a simple issue but I can’t figure it out. Suggestions?.

3 Replies 3

Welcome to the community, @Lee_Crawford!

Probably the easiest way to solve this would be to change the structure of your tables to become a many-to-many relationship instead. This article explains more:

Hey Lee,

You have found one of the irritants of grouping when they are multiple values.

I don’t know of a great way to do this. I posted a similar question way back in 2017 about this. ha.

Here’s a recent discussion about it. As is mentioned here

"The “group” feature of Views treats the values of array-type fields (multiselect and record links) as one long string. It is not yet possible to have one group per array item, with records appearing multiple times in the view depending on how many individual groups they fall under.

While Airtable has talked about this possibly being changed in the future, no timeline for this change was given."

A workaround would be to create multiple views filtered to display each individual tag.

The filter would be something like Where Tag “contains" Tag Name .

Maybe it’s a good use case to create Interface with several Record pickers or Grids with different filters?
Or create multiple views and use multi-source sync, if available.