Help

"An error occurred when evaluating conditional group" - Automation

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
1687 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davidt
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello there

i have an automation that was working fine, now when i try to test it, i can't get past the trigger. the trigger works, but when i try to evaluate the conditions for the first action group (or any other action group) i get an error instead of an "yes, matches conditions" or "no, doesn't match conditions". strangely, this automation worked until now. is the error possible related to airtable general maintenance or issues and not to my automation at all. or do you guys know what kind of conditions throw such an error instead of getting evaluated. very strange 😞

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jadeadele
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If anyone runs into this: for me it's because I accidentally went over my automation run limit while building my database and running way too many tests. Word of caution, be more conservative about your tests!! 

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
Zwerik
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I'm experiencing the same issue here @Davidt. Have you been able to resolve this?

this is happening to all of my automations. Any insight?

jadeadele
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If anyone runs into this: for me it's because I accidentally went over my automation run limit while building my database and running way too many tests. Word of caution, be more conservative about your tests!! 

Thanks! This was also the problem in my case. The error message is very misleading (I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what was wrong with my conditional group!).

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This extremely unhelpful code was cropping up in one of my automations, despite not being over the limits... and it took me a while but I found the solution.

One of my conditions was checking if {Completion} < 1 where {Completion} is a formula field formatted that properly recognizes numerical formatting.  I saw grumblings in another forum post which alluded to the fact that formulas referencing lookup fields can sneakily pass through an array rather than a number which can cause automations to fail.

I thought that the new feature in the lookup field configuration to "Limit the number of items shown to the first 1" would force the lookup to return a single value, but it still appeared to be passing an array with a single number.  So I altered my formula field to explicitly cast the lookup field to a string and then a number. The resulting formula:

{Completion (Lookup)} & "" + 0