cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebefort_DDP
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I am trying to use Airtable as a production board for my company. When an order comes through Shopify, I have Zapier tell it to upload the information with Line Items, but my team doesn't always know how many items may be in one order to complete it, so I started showing "1 of x" for my guys to know when they view the interface.

Is there a way for Airtable to automatically mark a job with the same "Order Number" (as it is grouped right now) to autopopulate the numbers of the line items in a column, even if it just auto-numbers with 1, or 1, 2, 3 etc. then I can reformat the way it looks?

Or is there a better way to go about what I'm trying to accomplish? I feel like I'm overcomplicating it.

Thank you so much!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi @ebefort_DDP . Unfortunately you were seriously misled about formulas being able to handle this situation. (Guessing that whoever replied to you has been removed from the forum, as their posts don't even appear any more.) For one thing, there is no "FILTER" function in Airtable formulas, nor is there a "THIS_RECORD" reference. Formulas are run at the record level, meaning that as each record's formula is processed, it only has access to fields from the same record. Cross-record calculations can only be done if you manually link records to other records, use lookup and/or rollup fields to pull data from the linked records, and then reference those lookup/rollup fields in your formula, but that won't help in a case like this.

As I said elsewhere, I'm no longer able to provide direct assistance here, so I'm crossing my fingers that someone else can help you with this. I'm sorry.

See Solution in Thread

6 Replies 6

Thank you so much for the reply! I'm still too new to this stuff, so apologies for my ignorance, but is there something I need to be replacing in the formula for it to work?

Hi! I am so sorry to ask again, but it's giving me an error. This is exactly what I was looking for, though! I feel like I'm missing something that should be very obvious. What did I do wrong?

ebefort_DDP

I am still needing help on this. I feel like it's something simple that I'm missing:

ebefort_DDP_0-1701116945860.png

ebefort_DDP_1-1701117006963.png

Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi @ebefort_DDP . Unfortunately you were seriously misled about formulas being able to handle this situation. (Guessing that whoever replied to you has been removed from the forum, as their posts don't even appear any more.) For one thing, there is no "FILTER" function in Airtable formulas, nor is there a "THIS_RECORD" reference. Formulas are run at the record level, meaning that as each record's formula is processed, it only has access to fields from the same record. Cross-record calculations can only be done if you manually link records to other records, use lookup and/or rollup fields to pull data from the linked records, and then reference those lookup/rollup fields in your formula, but that won't help in a case like this.

As I said elsewhere, I'm no longer able to provide direct assistance here, so I'm crossing my fingers that someone else can help you with this. I'm sorry.

Thank you so much for the reply! I wondered, but I just assumed they were tired of replying so they deleted their responses. You have no idea how grateful I am--I swore I was crazy trying to find a "FILTER" function of some sort. You definitely helped me out to find a different solution, so thank you so much!

@ebefort_DDP wrote:

I just assumed they were tired of replying so they deleted their responses.

It's more likely that they were either spamming or providing a lot of misleading answers. Not sure how the banning process works here, but their content has been removed from the community permanently. Looking at the user's profile page, it lists no posts or replies, and they haven't been online since early October.