Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Form to edit data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katherine_Harkn
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

At the moment the form only allows input of new data. Can we have a form for editing existing records? At the moment we can only edit in the table meaning I can’t present the records the way I want. Can’t even hide columns on mobile, meaning the users are free to wreak havoc on the existing data :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

163 Comments
OSC_Tech
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Zapier has a similar function to the above, editing with a duplicate table

Thanks
Anto

Yuri_Klebanov
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I’m also looking forward for such a feature!

In our case I’m looking for a simple way to manage our lab inventory as we have many students that borrow and return equipment, by themselves, so I’m trying to find a simple way for them to select the item they are borrowing from a drop-down list for example or start typing the item name with an autocomplete, then type their name and submit the form, thus updating the database, there is no need for them to see the entire table.

Thanks!

Patrick_Ford
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Agreed. We are also using Airtable as our Makerspace management solution and it would be extremely beneficial to have a read-only type form where students could edit their own reservations within a calendar view or through a form. Currently we use a clunky scenario in Integromat to do this, but it just makes so much more sense to have a read-only (non-paid) type account for people who only need to edit their own records. You’d probably have to create a “Record Created By” field though. Then rather than users being records in the base, they could be read-only collaborators in the base and have their own “profile” of machine reservations.

Sam_Davyson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have been working on building functionality to allow forms to edit data on Airtable — to make this work I’ve made a portal product called Airportal (https://airportal.app) so you can design forms that work with your existing data.

We are collecting people for the beta launch of this product in the next few weeks. Sign up at the link above if you’d like to be part of it.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

@Sam_Davyson, this looks awesome - I’ve already recommended it in some threads.

Question - I’m guessing that to create a platform like this you had to isolate the app from the Airtable API in a way to avoid rate limits. I don’t want to know how you did it - just to confirm that you did before I widely recommend it. :winking_face:

Also curious why you didn’t give it a cooler name like …

• Airship
  • Airdrop
  • Airlift
Sam_Davyson
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you so much @Bill.French!

I think Airportal is a pretty cool name! It is like Airport-al :grinning:

Re: the platform limits, yes we are implementing a caching layer to avoid any issues with the rate limits for popular portals.

Bill_French
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Yeah, it’s not bad, but the marketing guy in me always leans toward two syllables whenever possible.

Shawn_Adams
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It would be very useful to add an Airtable form to Edit existing records where the editable fields could be restricted much like the hide/unhide fields in the form that allows adding records.

Is Airtable placing this in a future release?

Karen_Jeffrey
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I agree with the posts here as well. This is an essential feature to make use of Airtable.

Shaun_Hawkes
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am in the process of setting up a Project Management system via Airtable and, I have to say, I spend more time here, scrolling through pages and pages of what seem to be obvious need feature requests, that it worries me. The idea was that this would be a quicker set-up than building in MySQL from scratch, at least, that is exactly how Airtable are marketing their product. The issue I have is that, in general, it seems that there is little to no interest in the community or its needs.

Was this issue ever solved? It certainly does not appear so, along with so many others.

I guess that my questions are these:

1. Did this ever get implemented?
  2. Do feature requests generally get implemented?

If the answer to either of these is no, then this is a deal-breaker for me and, sadly, I will abandon this project and go back to MySQL. Not necessarily for this one feature, but for the general lack of forward motion that I see everywhere in these forums.