Help

This Product Ideas board is currently undergoing updates, but please continue to submit your ideas.

Allow Linked To Column in Self-Referencing Tables

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexagora
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator
What is the proposed idea/solution?

If I link records in TableA to records in TableB via a "Link to another record" field, I get a column in each table reflecting the link. So I can look at the row in Table B and see which records from Table A link to it.  However, as of now, when linking to another record in the same table I can only see on Record A that it links to Record B and Record C I link to -- there is no corresponding field on Record B or Record C that shows the records that link to it.  Thus, I cannot run a rollup or look on the fields linking to me. 

How does is solve the user problems?

This is valuable for modelling two-way markets.  For example, I buy a lot of commodity in Record A.  I sell some of the lot in Record B and the rest in Record C, it would be extremely time-saving to be able to link Records B + C each to A, as "from lot A", then to have a field on A which shows the sold quantity (Rollup of quantity from linked Records B + C). 

To accomplish the same today, you have to enter Record B + C, then open Record A for editing and put the link there -- greatly slowing data entry. 

Who is the target audience?

Anyone linking records within the same table who wants to be able to calculate aggregates. this seems to be a common enough question on the forums to have elicited some long frustrated chains. 

3 Comments
J_W1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is really something with a lot of value. But don’t get you hopes up. I believe this has been a big requested from users for years and years now.

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You could try using a script with an automation as a workaround?  @kuovonne has a script just for this purpose here: https://kuovonne.gumroad.com/l/joRkE

alexagora
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks @TheTimeSavingCo but an automation has the risk of breaking, and with the limits on number of automations even in enterprise plans... Ideally it would be baked in and not suck up those credits, especially given the many useful scenarios.